Vidhana Soudha

Vidhana Soudha


Vidhana Soudha

Attractions

  • Neo Dravidian architecture
  • Grand flight of stairs at entrance
  • Crown of the dome with national emblem of India
  • Pillars and columns
  • Night lighting during Sundays & public holidays

Vidhana Soudha

  houses the Karnataka State Legislature and Secretariat. It was the brainchild of Sri K. Hanumanthaiya who was the Chief Minister of the then Mysore state from the year 1951 to 1956. The foundation was laid by the then Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, on July 13, 1951.The grand architecture is situated in the Cubbon Park on Dr.Ambedkar Road. It is the largest Legislative building in India.

The huge granite structure measures 700 ft along North South and 350 ft along East West, with 2 inner open quadrangles on either side of the central wing. The Northern wing has a ground and 3 upper floors, while the Southern wing has a cellar floor, a ground floor, and 3 upper floors. The Central wing has a Banquet Hall on the ground floor and the Legislative Assembly Chamber above.

The Legislative Assembly Chamber measures 125 feet by 132 feet and 40. feet high and is located in the first floor of the central wingand has a seating accommodation for 268 Members, with provision for future expansion to accommodate about 100 more Members by readjustment of the seating arrangements.

The Legislative Council Chamber is located in the first floor of the southern wing. It measures 100 feet by 78 feet high and has a seating capacity of 88 members.

The front of the building is inscribed with the words : Government Work is God's Work. The grand stairs at the entrance, has a flight of 45 steps 204 ft wide and 70 ft deep giving direct access to the foyer of first floor leading to an Assembly Chamber. There are 12, 40 ft columns over the entrance steps.The central dome is 60 ft in diameter and is supported by 8 pillars. It also has 6 smaller domes, 4 in front and 2 behind.The crown of the dome bears the national emblem of India.

Though the architecture is predominantly neo Dravidian, it is a secular edifice, showing streaks of British and Indo-Islamic architecture as well. The construction started in 1952 and was completed in 1956. Granite excavated from the areas around Mallasandra and Hessaraghatta was extensively used. Magadi Pink and Turuvekere Black stones have also been used.

About 5000 labourers and 1500 chisellers, masons and wood-carvers worked on the project. Almost all the unskilled workers deployed in the construction of Vidhana Soudha were convicts, who were given their freedom upon its completion!
Travel info:
Location : Cubbon Park
Lighting: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
on Sundays and public holidays
Location