Churches in Bangalore
Historical Churches of Bangalore
Located in M.G.Road
, St.Mark's Cathedral was founded in 1808, completed in 1812, consecrated in 1816. The monument was enlarged in 1901 and rebuilt in 1927. The church is a member of Churches of South India
(CSI). Modeled along the lines of the 17th century St.Paul's Cathedral
, this cathedral is a beautiful colonial structure having a graceful dome over a semicircular chancel. It has one of the best maintained external bells. The entrance has elaborate woodwork and ornate carvings. Roman archers along the wall and the stained glass windows look exquisite. The church is named after St.Mark
, who was believed to have been the first Gospel writer. After 200 years, the Bicentenary was celebrated during 2007-08.
Located on Brigade Road
, this is one of the oldest churches in the city. The church was built in 1844, consecrated as a cathedral
in 1899 and renovated in 2000. The current structure boasts of an arched entrance flanked by twin columns. Twelve pillars symbolising the twelve apostles add grace to the interiors of the church. On the right of the main church is a little shrine dedicated to St. Anthony
. The annual feast of St. Anthony on 13th June is celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm. A recent addition is the Adoration Chapel
, conducive to silent prayer and meditation. Residence of the Bishop, educational establishments and two agricultural settlements for famine orphans are all within the church premises.
Holy Trinity Church
A landmark at the east end of M.G.Road
, this church was built in 1848-51 in the English Renaissance
style. With a capacity to accommodate 700 people, it is considered the largest military church in Southern India, since it was built for the British Army stationed in Bangalore Cantonment. The church has a tall tower and unparalleled pillars. The three pairs of angels carved in wood, on the roof are noteworthy. There are decorative memorials and articles inside the church which depicts the stories of great men and women. The great bell of the church, the stained glass at the altar and the baptismal pond at the entrance were brought from London. The Trinity School and Boy's Home
for the less fortunate, senior citizens home and the Bishop's residence are all in the campus of the church.
This beautiful monumental church, popularly known as a Kirk
( Celtic word for church
), is located on Cubbon Road
. It was named after St.Andrews
, a patron saint of Scotland. 19th century Scottish regiment soldiers and a few Scottish civilians of Presbyterian background wanted to establish the same in Bangalore. Private civilians, army officers and soldiers led by Rev.S.Wright
sought permission of the Scottish Church authorities in 1860, to build a Church in Bangalore. The church was built during 1864-1866. The original congregation members who were regiment soldiers and officers of foregeign origin, marched around the Church every Sunday, occupying central pews in an orderly army manner. It was a Westernised Church with Scottish Customs, classical Scottish square dancing, western music, celebrating St.Andrew's Day, Burns' Right
etc. There are many brass plaques on the walls inside the Church in memory of those soldiers and civilians.
Infant Jesus Church
In the mid sixties, Fr.Paul Kinathukara
felt drawn by a holy power in a rose garden in Somanahalli ( Vivek Nagar)
. He prayed for the land to Infant Jesus of Prague
. When the land was bought, he toiled to get BDA approval in 1977 to fulfill his dream of building a church. The foundation was laid by Rev.Dr.Lourduswamy
, in April 1969. The church was opened in 1979 and the shrine next to church in 1989. The current church was inaugurated in 2005. The fan shaped prayer hall has a capacity for 2500 people with 9 faces and openings all around. Devotees of all faiths throng to this church on Thursdays. The most noticeable feature of the church is the secular nature of the devotees.