is a red brick building that houses the Karnataka High court. It is located in the Cubbon Park opposite Vidhana Soudha. It was known as the Mysore High Court until 1973 when the name of the state was changed.
The construction of the building was supervised by Rao Bahadur Arcot Narayanaswamy Mudaliar and completed in the year 1868. It was earlier named as Old Public Offices and got its name of Attara Kacheri when the eighteen departments in the general and revenue secretariat of the Mysore Government were shifted here from Tipu Sultan's summer palace in 1868, for want of space. Attara Kacheri means 18 offices. These offices which functioned here from 1868 until 1956, were later moved to the Vidhana Soudha, and Attara Kacheri became the high court.
It is a two-storied building, red in colour and has been built in the neo classical style. There was a proposal to demolish this building in the year 1982. A public interest litigation (PIL) was filed to preserve this heritage building. This was the first PIL to be filed in the Karnataka High court and the case was heard in the very building that was supposed to be demolished! In August 1984, judgement was passed to stay the demolition.
On the ceiling of its Central Hall is a Portrait of Sir Mark Cubbon, Commissioner of Mysore from 1834 to 1861. Behind the building is an equestrian statue of him by Baron Marochetti.
Travel info: Location : Cubbon Park
Access : Dr. Ambedkar Road
opposite to Vidhana Soudha